Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I'm Thinking Arugula


I have a fondness for this tasty green, born of Jamie Oliver, who in his slightly slurred British accent uttered the word "Rocket" when tumbling freshly chopped greens over a platter of sliced marinated beef.  Something seemed special about it.  I didn't see any ordinary lettuce playing this kind of supporting role in a dish, so I had to know what "Rocket" was.  Turns out, its the British word for Arugula. (Doesn't it seem like the British form of some of our English words are so much more fun?)

But this I had to try.  As luck would have it, it isn't so easy to find in the corner grocery.  Maybe we just haven't established a market for it yet, so you all will have to help me.  My current solution is to try my hand at growing it.  Although it grows readily in my raised bed when
planted in the spring, as summer arrives, it quickly goes to seed, and no longer is the little tasty leaflets that I crave.  I'll have to do some more trials on this, but my hunch is that is rather like the spinach crop, thriving in the cool of spring and fall.

Culinarily, I'm a rookie with this stuff.  But, if I see it on a menu, I'm on it.  Like when I traveled to Germany last summer....
See that?  Yes, I found it here at a cute sidewalk cafe in Heidleberg,  said to have the best pizza in town (no understatement!).  Many of the pies listed "Rucola" as a topping, which I quickly interpreted as the German version of this green.  I. Must. Have. 
 I picked this one......
To answer your question, yes, it was insanely good.  

And me, I'm getting better at throwing it around, a' la Jamie Oliver, and recently rested a balsamic marinated chicken breast topped with blue cheese on a bed of arugula.  I merely tossed the greens first with olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper.  It hit the arugula spot quite nicely.  

1 comment:

  1. The Salad with Rocket, Strawberries and Goat Cheese was Prime too. The observation platform made for a visitors delight...... Men fighting, stringy blonde hair and homemade strawberry sauce ........ All feasts for the eyes and palate.

    ReplyDelete