Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Grilled Pizza

You might think that I am still dreaming of the next cooking club gathering in Arizona.  Or, you could instead consider that it is summer, and that means I often refuse to turn on my oven. On such days, I am usually in search of something easy, fresh from the garden, and either served cold, or grilled outside.  So, here is where grilled pizza comes into play.

First, lets talk about *Trader Joe's*.  Lets hope you have one nearby.  (So sorry, people of Prescott, but your mayor told me he is working on getting one!)   If you have not been introduced to this gem of a supermarket, don't wait any longer.  We are lucky enough to have one in Pittsburgh, and I love to slip into the 'burgh to get lots of goodies, including fresh pizza dough. 

Here's where I should admit that I actually fear dough. Really, to narrow that down, its the yeast that makes me shiver.  I really must conquer this fear, and I sometimes do force myself out of my comfort zone, but in the meantime, I just made another trip down to Trader Joe's  to stock up ;)

For this little number, after tossing, stretching and rolling the dough a bit, I slid it on to a cookie sheet coated with cornmeal (Italian substitute for ball-bearings!).  After a light coat of olive oil, I smeared a layer of homemade pesto (last year's bounty pulled from the freezer), sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, pine nuts, and fresh ground pepper.  Once the grill is nice and hot, you just slide the baby right off the tray and onto the hot grids.  I know, it seems like it would droop right down onto the burners and make a big mess.  

But with a quick close of the lid, it works like magic!  About 5 minutes later, it is done.  The bottom ends up nicely charred, with a smokey taste, the top bubbles up and gets oozey.  
Slide it back onto the pizza tray and slice it up!!!  I've tried lots of different topping combinations, but this is a running favorite.  It is important to keep the toppings to a minimum, and to keep the dough on the thin side.  Here is what I have in mind for my next batch: olive oil, gorgonzola, and arugula.  Sounds like heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment