Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Salad Nicoise and other adventures....



Although I have heard of Salad Nicoise, I can honestly say that I've never had it. Maybe I've never even seen it on a menu, though that seems unlikely. Perhaps the real truth would be that I've just brushed over it, discounted it. I do know that I have never had the desire to make it, thats for sure. But something changed this week, with the everflowing fountain of green beans, and the salad beckoned. So, I heeded the call.

Looking for inspiration, I perused many different variations, and settled for Tyler Florence's version, but with my own tweaks. This salad is definitely more than just a sum of it's parts, though it's parts are pretty tasty. But it is the synergy that occurs between the fresh, crispy, briny and savory intermingling that is the shining star.


I dug the red potatoes from the garden (what fun! kinda like a treasure hunt!) Then, I overcooked them ...gasp.... The green beans, red onions, grape tomatoes, and (hidden) lettuce, were also homegrown. The only problem is, when you put together a fresh veggie salad, and top it off with tuna and anchovies, there aren't many people that you can invite to dinner. My family is filled with tuna-haters. I can slip anchovies past them, but only if they are macerated into oblivion.


Anyway, you have to admit, even if you fit into one of the categories listed above, that it makes a pretty salad. And you'll have to take my word for it that it's a pretty tasty one at that.


Now, on to the adventure..... This weekend marks the beginning of our vacation to Europe, namely Belgium and the Netherlands. I'm looking forward to seeing and doing lots of things, but the food list definitely includes the holy trinity of travel to this part of the world: Beer, Cheese, and Chocolate. Oh, add to that, mussels (moules) and fries (frites). You can check out our travel blog over the upcoming few weeks, and hopefully see it unfold. Tot Ziens!!

1 comment:

  1. I had to laugh when I opened this blog. There was my dinner starring up at me from the page.
    Yummy!! I ate the rest of it the next day and enjoyed it just as much. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete