Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Not a boring old radish



I am worried that you will pre-judge a post on radishes.  Stop yourself.  This may just change your opinion, if you give it a chance.  I, too, put radishes in the category of "filler" for iceberg salads at overpriced lackluster restaurants.  But not these pretty little babies:

You might notice a few things right away:  Dirt!  Yes, they are fresh.  Seems to make a difference.  Pull them straight out of the garden, and that in itself ups the flavor quotient. Tapered instead of round?  Bingo.  Must be a french thing.  A little red, a little white?  Hmmm, you're good at this!

I planted radishes for the very first time this year. Really, just out of curiosity.   Who can resist a description of a slightly toasted baguette slice, topped with European butter, french radish shavings, and sprinkled ever-so-lightly with fleur de sel?  It was good, just ask my nephew.  (He even asked for seconds!)

Better yet, they are known as a fast plant.  Quick turn around from seed to fruit.  Remember the part in the last post about not being patient?  You, then, will see the appeal.  The  science teacher in me knows that a radish makes a great biology lesson.  I've used them for seed germination, experiments in allelopathy, and just for "watch how a plant grows" exercises. Pretty cool, all in all.   Tasty though?  I think not.

But, the gourmet trapped inside of me longed for more meaning. Am I missing something?  Do people really like these little red devils, or just merely tolerate them?  My first attempt in the kitchen was delightful - A spring salad!  Think spicy spring greens (I love arugula!), creamy avocado slices, and the french radish:
The perfect dressing?  Please don't say store bought.  Try whipping one together yourself first.  Do you have red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and pepper, olive oil?  Done.  You will not turn back.   Variations on this are fun, and limitless.  Try adding a little honey.  Or jam.  Or flavored vinegar.  Or fresh herbs.  Oh, how about garlic?  And if lack of measuring scares you, this is your chance to break through your fears.  The only rule is to mix everything else together first, then add the oil.  You will slowly stream it into the rest, while whisking.  Not hard, really.  And so rewarding!

But before I sign off on radishes, I need to tell you about my dinner plans.  Come closer........French Radish Leaves Soup!  Yes, you heard it right.  It sounds so....well...French, but alas, it is Polish!   And no, I haven't yet tried it, but I am game.  Did I tell you I am a recently converted radish aficionado?  I will let you know how it goes.  

3 comments:

  1. Better get that cooking/local foods scenario up and running for next year. Kurt will be first to sign up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay you figured out how to put pictures in the middle of text! You have an excellent blog teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still not convinced!!

    Radish Soup??

    ReplyDelete